Nuffnang Ads

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Berjuntai Tin Dredging and I

Yesterday I stumbled upon a book, The First 100 Years History of Malaysia Mining Corporation 1911-2011 (today known as MMC Engineering Berhad). I don't know why but quickly I began to remember the greatest childhood days ever that I had experienced during our stay there. My father was the dredge engineer there and it was the longest place that we stayed till 1990, when the price of tin continued to dwindle. I must say that I had the best time of my life there.

My family first came to Batang Berjuntai in 1984 after father was transferred from Keramat Tin Dredging, Tapah, Perak Darul Ridzuan. I was only one year old back then and my mother was expecting my second brother back then. We first stayed at the single storey bungalow not very far from the main gate of Bukit Minyak Engineers Residency (those who worked in the mining areas lived in luxury back then as all utilities were paid for and one just bring their suitcase and important belongings into the house provided by the company). Although I was only one but I remembered the house, air conditioned and fully furnished. 

Later in January 1985, we shifted to another single storey bungalow, addressed BM21 and the house was located about less than a kilometer from the mess hall. Similar size like the earlier house, but it was nearer to the mess hall where Mak always brought me for swimming there as well as having lunch or dinner there. Back then, the mess hall cooked the best Oriental Chicken Chop and Oriental Beef Steak and its signature dish, Chinese Fried Rice ( a must to have each time fellow engineers threw birthday parties or BBQ parties there). Mak gave birth to Fateh, my little brother back then after we shifted to BM21. Like any other houses there, all master bedrooms were fitted with air conditioners; Carrier or Philco brand (wonder what happened to this Philco brand). 

When Farah was born in 1986, we were still there and I was 3 years old. And father always brought me to the mining pool site where dredges operated 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
Source: http://www.cuti.com.my/album/displayimage.php?album=1113&pos=20

I remembered that day, it was raining heavily and mishap took place on the dredge BTD 06 hence my father brought me together with him to the mining pool and there it was, standing tall like an ailing gruesome monster, according to father, the dredge hit a big floating wood that it accidentally broke one of its pontoon and the dredge was slunted a bit due to the water sipping inside the dredge; that was the unforgettable moment for me seeing the dredge live for the first time. Before that, right in front of the main gate, there was an abandoned dredge, dredge BTD 05 and I could see how big was the monster standing gigantically in front of the main gate to the residency. If I want to go to Batang Berjuntai town, I would surely pass another mining pool belonging to Seng Kee (correct me if I am wrong) and there it was, standing tall, an old rusted dredge (sold as scrap after 10 years being abandoned). 

We then shifted to BM16 in 1987 a year after Farah was born, bigger house, bigger lawn and off course bigger playground for us. And that was the time when the abandoned long sleeping dredge BTD 05 went to live again. The sound of the machine was gruesome especially in the night, like a banshee questing for her victims. And for the first time ever I saw dredge BTD 05 in motion. Actually one could not see the dredge was in motion because it was huge hence it was hard to notice its movement. I must thank father for exposing me with the reality being a dredge engineer. It was not easy at all as he was always on standby in case anything went wrong with dredges back then. I guess I was very lucky enough to see dredges operating in real life not by mere reading or through pictures. 

But, that was years ago and I knew that I wont be able to turned back the clock. How I wish I could so that I just want to experience it once again and again. We moved from Berjuntai Tin in 1990 leaving behind thousands and one memories there. I wont be able to see dredges operating in life again. 


-Fadhil Zhafri-

32 comments:

  1. I google about tin dredging and come across your blog and this arouse my memories of my tin dredging days. i was posted to southern malayan tin dredging at 7 mile tanjung tualang after being accepted by MMC in 1979. I was on the dredge TT5 for 2.5 years before transferred to malayan tin dredging at kampung gajah section. after 1 year i get married and was transfered to berjuntai tin and work there for 1 year before i resign. Reading your post makes me recall fond memories during my time working tin dredging comp =). but i cannot recalls the address of my scary bungalows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sir,
      my late father in law used to work there around Tanjong Tualang as a surveyor and retired a few years later. Hj Ramly Mohd, He lived in Malim Nawar and died in 1999. A year after his beloved wife.

      Delete
  2. zmahat55, u were with MMC before? I suppose u know my father. He was also being posted at Kg Gajah section. His name is Ahmad Fuad Jaafar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes i was. and i know your father since his student day at utm in jln gurney.if i'm not wrong 5 of us were the 1st batch recruited by MMC and send to work in the dredge. send my regard to your father ahmad fuad, from za'aba mahat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Owh what a small world uncle. Glad that you like my posting about the glorious day of the tin mining. Three of my siblings were born during the era. Insya-Allah I will.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hope you can share where u procure the book "The First 100 Years History of Malaysia Mining Corporation 1911-2011" as my book collection and to show my children and grandchildren about the tin dredging days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zaaba,
      I received my free copy of the book from MMCB

      Delete
  6. Owh that one I need to ask my father uncle as he got it during the celebration of the 100 years of MMC. :-) I will uncle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought it is a book sold in the market. Anyway thanks for your effort

    ReplyDelete
  8. i miss my days during in BTD.. moved to BTD from Kg Gajah, Perak. i was 4 or 5 yo that time and stayed there until 11yo.. stayed in BM10, then moved to Trong, Taiping, Perak (Kamunting tin); then moved to Ayer Hitam Puchong, then moved back to BTD and we stayed in BM21
    i missed BTD a lot, kak tipah (mess)... great childhood which my children wont have the same experience their mom had

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ella, when were u there? I was there in 1984 till 1990, the last phase of the Berjuntai TIn before it was closed down. Yeah Kak Tipah, I remember her very well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i was there before i went to kindy.. means i was 4 or 5 yo (around year 1980) until i was in the middle of standard 5 (1986), then in mid of 1990, came back to BTD and stayed at BM21. i think after you moved out, we moved in.. but i do remember your father.. not personally but i know that Uncle Fuad lives in BM21 (when we're in BM10).
      next to your house (i forgot her house no.) is my close friend - Mili, adik dia Hisyam..
      then in 1991 (if i'm not mistaken), we moved to Rantau Panjang bungalows (next to Senki)... surrounded by rubber trees.. :)

      Delete
    2. Who is your father Ella? Maybe my dad knows him.

      Delete
  10. thank you fadhil zhafri for such a nice article. i am hasno zakaria. i was an employee of Berjuntai Tin Bhd. joined the company in dec 1969 as Field engineering draftsman. had a 3 mth training at anglo oriental ltd (the mother company) at jalan tangsi kuala lumpur prior to taking up the assignment at BTD selangor district office at bukit minyak. the red clay splattered selangor bus from melaka street bus station kl took me batang berjuntai. the torutous kl- kuala selangor road after kepong passes through rubber estates and swampy grasslands. the bus stopped at ijok to wait for other passengers coming by another bus from kuala selangor. there were only a few of us, maybe 5, waiting for about 30 mins for its arrival. while waiting, i felt so sad and miserable and almost coming to tears. the place was so silent and the only sound that can be heard were cicadas from the nearby rubber trees(riang2). i asked myself what the hell am i doing here! tempat jin bertendang. after the other passengers from kuala selangor joined us the bus continued its journey to batang berjuntai. we called this town BB for short. it sounds glamorous too unlike its meaning in bahasa. i came down from the bus, had cofee at a chinese coffee shop nearby a cinema. half hour later i boarded another bus to bukit minyak. it travels along the rawang road and reached a small junction where it turned left into a dirt road within some tall and old oil-palm trees. that dirt road the bus took led to the selangor river. there was an iron bridge. at the other end of the bridge i noticed a small hut and a road barrier too. soon i found out that that was a tool booth. i guess that was the beginning of privatisation!! passed the bridge we travelled through a rubber plantation. passed the rantau panjang staff on the hill slope, passed senki mining, turn right and the bus driver stopped the bus for me to alight at the bukit minyak entrance gate. i walked in and was directed to the Mines Office. there i reported to my boss, a very friendly gentleman, Mr. K V Nair. he welcomed me and introduced me to my new colleagues en. majid, en ramli en. shariff and en. wahab. all three are almost coming to retirement age. i was just a school leaver then. en nair asked me: "you came alone with only your suitcase?' i said: 'Yes sir, but my other stuff are in bangsar KL in my rented room.' he replied: 'ok, we shall go to kl now to fetch your things. i will have the land rover ready. ghani the driver and i will go with you to get it.' we went back to kl, got the things and returned back to bukit minyak late that night. en. nair put me up for the night at his quarters in bkt minyak. next morning i moved into my own single room company quarters directly opposite my office ie the selangor north district office.
    in a matter of days i got to know the other fellow workers and bachelors ljving in the camp. life was not that bad as i had imagined. my work , although most of the time in the office. at times en nair will also take me on his field trip to see the dredges (no. 1 to the new no.11 dredge) to Rasa and Ulu Bernam offices. despite being a small remote community, the place was not that quiet. surprisingly we had pasar malam twice a month. the traders knew when our pay day was. berjuntai tin pays its staff their salary every 3rd and 17th day of the month. besides pasar malam there will be monthly film shows under an open shed. people from the neighborhood estates and villages will turn up to see the movies. along comes the food vendors and bric a brac traders sellin their wares. we the bachelors, had a good time courting the girls.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ...continued...

    in 1970 came the huge flood. the road to bukit minyak camp was cut off. some of the bunds in the mines gave way and the waters kept coming into our area. our workshop and mines office was submerged and the losses were heavy. we were safe because we were on high ground. when the flood waters started rising all of us near the office panicked. i and pak harun another fellow worker sighted an old malay woman 100meters away who was in almost waist deep water attempting to come towards. she was unable to guess or feel the road. Pak harun and i went over to rescue her. as we approached she managed to grab the end of the changkul that we brought along. She was pale in fright. we were glad to have saved her. for days there was water shortage. we were supplied with rice, ikan bilis and sardines by the armed forces who arrived in rescue boats. when the flood waters subside there was a lot of cleaning to be done. it was a nightmare.

    we had good times also in the camp. there were dances at birthday parties and annual dinners. i went fishing during weekends with friends. caught some ikan baung and even a tortise took my bait. that was a big surprise for me.

    Hasno Zakaria
    hasnoz@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a very long article! I had my first experience in the dredge as early as when I was 4 years old when my dad brought me together to take a look at dredge number 6 that was having a problem that time. :) I spent most of my time at the Bukit Minyak residency with my childhood friends to name few, Arwah Fatimah Nur, Arwah Abang Anep, Syikin, Abang Fahmi and Abang Faris. Had a great time with them that time. Abang Fahmi and Abang Faris used to bully me for me being the youngest (the word Aku kan abang kept lingering in me hehehehe)... Mr Hasno Zakaria, I suppposed you had the greatest time of your life right?

    ReplyDelete
  13. kapal korek batang berjuntai tu masih ada ke kat sana? kalo ada, camane wak nak kesana? timekaseh

    ReplyDelete
  14. nice write up. reminds me of my good old childhood days too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was lived in Berjuntai Tin since I was born from 1966 to early 1993. I witness the Berjuntai Tin at her heyday and her downturn starting in 1988. My father operated a coffee shop at the first main gate coming into the boundary of Berjuntai Tin. The place has changed totally and bring no trace of my childhood favourite places.

      Delete
  15. In the early 80s I was the Mine Accountant at BTD. I know your father Ahmad Fuad. Got invited to one of his kid's wedding at Ara Damansara.
    Ask your father about Kedai Mak Janda at Batang Berjuntai (near the temple).

    -- Nik Kamaluddin --

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aslkm,aku masa berada di BTD oct 1988,masa tu aku apprentice chargeman di Jabatan Elektrikal,aku agak kenal Encik Fuad,dia sebagai seorang mechanical engineer di mana aku selalu terserempak semasa membuat kerja maintenance di tempat beliau,kenangan di bukit minyak ni banyak yang manis dimana akhirnya isteri aku kutemui di sini,aku berjaya mendapat chargeman certificate A1 sebelum mining ini dengan sedihnya menamatkan operasi pada hujunh 1993,akhirnya yang tinggal hanyalah kenangan.......adios kawan dan tuan blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Minta bantuan pada ex staff berjuntai tin jika ada sesiapa yg mengenali Nurul Huda bin zainon.en zainon adalah ex staff disana.ingin mencari Nurul yg pernah belajar di sek vok Klang Dan jika Nurul Masih ada ia dlm lingkungan umur 40 an.jika ada yg tahu dimana ia berada Minta bantuan utk menghubungi saya 0102636698 shahrul

      Delete
  17. email aku: azman.shaari@taliworks.com.my dimana sekarang aku bekerja di Sungai Selangor Water Treatment Works Bukit Badong Phase 1

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Salam. Sesiapa ada simpan gambar kenangan boleh la untuk tatapan semua.. Senky dredging bernama.

    ReplyDelete
  21. My late father in law works at Batang Berjuntai sebelum bersara. His name Ridzwan Chesterfield atau James Maxwell Chesterfield. Anyone knows him?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Apprentice 1976-80 (A1). 1981 Foreman Electrical Workshop (B1). Era Mr Sim Kwang Teo, Lam Khee Fat, Wafa Rahman. Memory...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ayah sya Dollah senapang...
    Sbg sya Jalil pnh bsekolh di vok klang

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ayah sya Dollah senapang...
    Sbg sya Jalil pnh bsekolh di vok klang

    ReplyDelete
  25. I met Ridzwan Chesterfield when I was attached to Berjuntai Tin. Ridzwan worked for another company in Batang Berjuntai. Had dinner with him a few times in Subang Jaya after I was transferred to KL Head Office. I have fond memories of him.


    Nik Kamaluddin

    ReplyDelete
  26. I also stayed in BM16 bungalow in the early eighties. I was still single at the time.

    ReplyDelete