Nuffnang Ads

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Remembering My Best Friend; My Grandmother


I would like to share with you guys a true story which I experienced some 12 years back. I was only 14 years old during that time. It happened two days before raya. As usual my family and I were busy spring cleaning our house for the big day, it came across my mind to give her a call, suddenly I missed her so much.

I dialled the number and she picked up the phone; her voice was tender and loving upon answering the phone. I asked how was she doing and she said that she was doing fine except for her gastric causing her not to fast for a few days prior to the sickness. She even complained that she had a deep pain right at the edge of her liver, did not even came across my mind that it was actually a mild heart attack :(.

She asked me when will I be back to see her, I excitedly told her that I will be back a day before raya. I told her not to worry about me and take care of her health. During the big day, no need to worry about others as they all know how to manage themselves. Filled with excitement, she told me that my sister's dress was ready to be wear and she hanged the dress at the back of her bedroom door. She had prepared a few bottles of homemade syrup for my brother and jellies for the guests to enjoy during the big day. She was also excited as one of my relative who was staying afar back then was going back to see her and she cooked his favorite bone soup specially for him.





   

Before I hung up the phone, I told her that I miss her and wanted to see her the next day. Without suspecting anything I hung up. In my mind I was looking forward to see her. That night as usual I attended the last Terawikh prayer for the month of Ramadhan and later started to pack my luggage to get back to my hometown the next day.

That morning, right after Subuh prayer, I took a short nap when my mother woke me up crying said that she was very ill and being hospitalized at the ICU ward. Confused, I quickly took a quick shower and rushed back to Muar. The bad traffic made the journey felt like a long one. Upon arrival at the hospital, we rushed to the ICU ward when I met Pak Mid and said, "Her chance of survival was very slim thus the doctor took out the life support machine". I started to sob, quickly we rushed down to her house and the first word I got to hear from him was; "She's gone......10 minutes ago".

I felt the earth crumbled and my sight darkened, without realizing that I have started to cry out loud. Could not believe that someone that I loved whom I spoken to her via the phone yesterday had been called to be with Him on the very last day of fasting month. That was the darkest day of my life where she whom I loved most died due to heart failure and high blood pressure. Before burial, I watched her face for the last time and all I could see was a pale smiling face as though like she was saying "I love you; my grandchildren" I could not believe that I am going to lost her before she managed to see me going to university and settling down.

It was fated and life's like that and it took me quite a while to cope with life after her death. But if she is still around, she would be very proud of me. I miss you dearly.

P/S: "She" in this story refers to my late grandmother; Hajah Hasnah Mohamed whom passed away on the 30th Ramadhan, 12 February 1997. "Him" on the other hand refers to my late grandfather' Haji A Rahman Haji Taib whom passed away in 2003 after a short old illness. I did not realize that teardrops rolling down on my face as I write down this story. Al-Fatihah to my grandparents; Hajah Hasnah Mohamed and Haji A Rahman Haji Taib.

No comments:

Post a Comment